½ kilo sugpo/shrimp medium size
1 pc egg
½ cup flour
¼ cup ice water
Pinch of salt
Vegetable oil for frying
- Remove heads and shells from shrimps without removing tails. Devein the shrimps. Make two or three incisions in the stomach sides of the shrimps.
- Lightly press the back of shrimps by fingers. Using a knife, remove the dirt from the tails of shrimps. Dry shrimps on paper towels.
Making Tempura Batter
- Mix eggs and ice water in a bowl. Add flour in the egg mixture.
- Lightly mix the batter. Flour shrimps before frying.
- Heat vegetable oil to 340F degree in a deep pan. To check the temperature of the oil, drop a little tempura batter into the oil. If the batter comes up right away instead of sinking to the bottom of the pan, it's about 360 F degree. If the batter goes halfway to the bottom and comes up, it's about 340F degree.
- Pick the tail of shrimp and dip shrimp in the tempura batter. Immediately fry the shrimp until crisp.
- Serve tempura shrimp right away with tempura dipping sauce or salt. Tempura is best served hot.